Monday, April 4, 2011

reverend ryan corb.

Starfish

Yesterday
I spent the afternoon
Inside your hourglass

I tipped your kiss sideways
So I could pause to admire the grains
Of sand and crystal forming a beach
Across your lips

There is no place I would rather feel stranded

I am thankful for the black
Labrador vernacular you whisper
At my hip
During the moments I feel human
And so alone.
I would hurl driftwood and dried out
Pieces of myself into the surf, and you
You
Would retrieve them.
Dripping sea salt and forgiveness.
The shells
They are thankful for the waves
And the loyalty.
For the time it took to turn
a hard casing
Into something soft to walk on.
For the nights I let the moon
Peel you back like a bed sheet
Without wondering if you would
Return in the morning
I always knew you would be there.
You are a daily homecoming
In a cove I don’t have to work
To feel comfortable in.
A myriad of hi-hat and green
Jazz spilling to the rocks

You are a congregation of starfish

An underwater sacrificial Milky Way
Washing ashore
Giving up breath
So I might have something to wish
for.

Once we have tended each other
I will keep the driftwood.
Place it into my pocket.
Press my lips to the points of a pentagram
And gently toss you back to the reef
We will part ways.

I will tilt your kiss upright
And give the beach its time
back.


But I will always have your sunburn.

And you
You will have my footprints.

Cheeks full of kissed and sleeping
starfish



Courtesy of  Ryan Corb.
I couldn't ask for a better friend in him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment